Ministers ushered out of memorial service
Thursday 23 August 2012 16:11
Representatives of government’s inter-ministerial committee at the memorial service of does who lost tehir lives at Marikana (SABC)
Representatives of government’s inter-ministerial committee into the violence at Lonmin’s Marikana mine have had to leave a memorial service in the NorthWest town after the situation turned tense.
Workers attending the event were heckling the delegation, which included Minister in the Presidency Collins Chabane, Police Minister Nathi Mthetwa and Minerals Minister Susan Shabangu.
Only expelled ANC youth league leader, Julius Malema, managed to address the crowd. The government did not do anything for the 34 slain miners in Marikana, he said.
“Under democracy our people will be protected. But government has turned against its people,” Malema told a memorial service for the dead miners in Marikana, North West.
He accused members of government of only attending the memorial service to pose for news cameras. He called businessman Cyril Ramaphosa arrogant after his investment holding company, Shanduka, announced on Saturday that it would contribute R2 million towards the burial of the miners.
The crowd cheered Malema on as he spoke
“He is like, we will kill you and pay for your burials,” Malema said. “Government has failed to get involved, because they are involved in the mine. This is a mining revolution and we will not surrender.”
The crowd cheered Malema on as he spoke.
Earlier, local residents addressed mourners and said workers still wanted their salaries increased to R12,500. Before addressing the mourners, Malema chanted: “Forward to 12 500, forward.”
He also thanked the Friends of the Youth League and claimed they paid for the white marquee and sound system that had been set up for the occasion.
Before Malema spoke, mourners became rowdy when an unidentified man went on stage and called for President Jacob Zuma to resign.
“Jacob Zuma should resign as president of South Africa,” he said, to cheers. “Number two, Julius Malema is back in the ANC.”After he spoke the whole crowd cheered.
When Malema finished talking, mourners sang and cheered him on before dispersing. -Additional reporting by Sapathehttp://www.sabc.co.za/news/a/6431e4804c7416af8f5cef1b0a7e7c58/Ministers-ushered-out-of-memorial-service-20122308
Zuma warns mining firms could lose licences
Thursday 23 August 2012 15:54
President Jacob Zuma has warned mining firms.(SABC)
As the mining industry faces major labour related headwinds, President Jacob Zuma has warned mining firms they could lose their licences if they failed to provide decent housing for workers.
However, Impala says it has its house in order. It says government should consider using mining royalties to assist the mining communities. World Number 2 platinum producers, Implats, say the six week strike at its Rustenburg operations resulted in loss of Revenue. It fell by R5.5 billion to R27.6 billions. Together with declining metals prices, the company says this has led to drastic cuts in its dividend.
It declared a dividend of 60 cents a share – down from 570 cents last year. Platinum has gained 1.1%, rising for a sixth day to a three and a half month high. The metal price has been lifted by ongoing tension in some of the mines.
Meanwhile Gold rose for a seventh day after minutes from the US Federal Reserve’s most recent policy meeting gave a clear signal that the central bank may take additional measures to boost the economy. Gold has more than doubled in value since the Fed first resorted to buying Treasuries to pin down interest rates and encourage growth.
Impala Platinum has warned that industrial action at South Africa’s platinum mines, resulting in the death of workers at Implats and its rival Lonmin, could become more widespread. A violent six-week strike at Implats’ Rustenburg operations early this year sliced 21% off its full-year production.
“The platinum industry is experiencing increased levels of industrial action, as witnessed at both Impala Rustenburg at the beginning of this year and more recently at Lonmin, with the associated tragic loss of life. These developments pose a significant risk to the industry,” said Implats’ newly installed chief executive Terence Goodlace.
Lonmin victims remembered in Mthatha memorial service
Thursday 23 August 2012 15:07
Mourners attended an emotionally charged memorial service at Marikana today ( Nkululeko Nyembezi)
Tears rolled down morose faces of the families who have lost 29 Lonmin mineworkers in Marikana during a memorial services in Mthatha in the Eastern Cape.
Hundreds of mourners could not hold back their emotions when speakers tried to make sense and explained of what happened during the massacre.
Eastern Cape Premiere Noxolo Kiviet told mourners that the massacre is an indication of the consequences of socio-economic imbalances in South Africa. Kiviet said this could have not happened in a democratic-led country where people have a full understanding of how freedom was acquired.
She said government has the responsibility to revisit the drawing board and get answers as to what went wrong and what needs to be rectified to move forward. She added that many people had been used as migrant labourers during the apartheid regime and were brought back penniless.
Meanwhile, Cosatu chairperson in the Eastern Cape Saziwa Mcobothi said there should be a model of rectifying the mistakes that were created by the apartheid government.
Meanwhile, President Jacob Zuma has appointed retired high court judge Ian Farlam to head the judicial commission of inquiry into the killing of 44 people in clashes at Lonmin’s platinum mine in Marikana last week. Zuma says the commission will complete its work within four months and submit a final report to him.